Saturday, 2 May 2009

Let the Right One In

We have been hearing rave after rave about this film, so I was very excited to get a chance to rent it.
I was very let down with it.

What I liked about this film was the fact it brought back the savagery that vampire films haven't had much in the last few years (don't get me started on Twilight) and that it went into some of the folklores. Thought the idea of innocence as the key foundation between the lead characters to be a great idea.

What I didn't like about this film, was simply the editing and pace. I don't know about anyone else out there, but I seem to find subtitled/dubbed films to have a strong pace in the first half then there will be an edit break that always looks like a bad jump cut in story plot. Like a reel is missing or something, that kind of makes the rest of the pace off kilter.

Vampires have been used as the metaphor for everything in the last 200 years from fear to sex. Using it this time around as a metaphor for pre-teen self awareness was brilliant.

On a ratings scale, I give this a 5 out of 10 fangs.

No comments: